Atkinson, Kate. "Charlene and Trudi Go Shopping".
- Charlene takes her friend Trudi to buy a present for Charlene's mother
- as they stroll in the shopping malls, they develop their fantasies about an ideal world, love and present - all against the background of WW II in a deteriorating city
- they witness a fire in haberdashery, Trudi regrets she has not bought a belt which she wanted to buy and which would be burnt now
- Charlene wishes for a baby, she repeats the word five times to have the wish fulfiled
- later Trudi asks Charlene what she bought for a present and learns it was a pair of wolfkin gloves, the fantasy wolfkin being the best thing in Charlene's opinion
AuthorAtkinson, Kate. (b. 1951).
Full Title"Charlene and Trudi Go Shopping".
First PublishedIn: Not the End of the World. Doubleday, 2002.
Atkinson, Kate. "Charlene and Trudi Go Shopping". Not the End of the World. (2002). Black Swan, 2006.