Heaney, Seamus. "Mossbawn Sunlight".
- dedicated to the poet's mother
- the speaker returns in his memories to his native farm
- describes the pleasant yard outdoors and shifts indoors to describe the comforting household activities of his mother, cleaning, baking scones, etc.
- describes the figure of the mother in terms of light and warmth, identifies her with sunlight
- free verse, unrhymed, yet melodic
- in the vein of Walter Pater's poem "An Angel in the House"
- a simple yet moving tribute to his mother engrossed in the housekeeping
AuthorHeaney, Seamus. (b. 1939).
Full Title"Mossbawn Sunlight".
Heaney, Seamus. "Mossbawn Sunlight". Opened Ground: Poems 1966 - 1996. London: Faber and Faber, 1998.