Galloway, Janice. "Someone Had To"
- a desperate account of the uncle Frank in the role of a father to the problematic child Kimberley and probably a partner to her mother Linda
- the child gets out of control, ceases communicating and gets on Frank's nerves
- he abuses her and eventually ends up intent on bathing her in boiling water as "someone had to"
- concentrates on atmosphere rather than on action
- presents a shocking fact of child abuse versus the equally discomforting despair of the tyrannous parent
- the fatal results of failure of communication between human beings
AuthorGalloway, Janice. (b. 1955).
Full Title"Someone Had To".
First PublishedIn: Where You Find It. London: Jonathan Cape, 1996.
Galloway, Janice. "Someone Had To". Where You Find It. London: Jonathan Cape, 1996.